Why would you file a car accident report?

There are two types of New York car accident reports. It is important to know that both exist and to understand the difference. One type of report is what the police officer files, called an MV-104 report. The other type of report is what drivers involved in the accident must file, also an MV-104 report.

When does NY law require you to file an MV-104 accident report?

Under NY law, all drivers must file an accident report when the following occurs:

  • An individual suffers injury or dies
  • Property damages for one individual exceed $1,000

The law states that you have 10 days from the accident date to file your report. Failure to do so could result in suspension of your driver’s license until the DMV receives your report.

In addition to NY car accident reports, what other actions must you take based on NY law?

Depending on the nature of the accident, in addition to filing the report, you must also do the following:

  • Property damage only. If there was no injury and only property damage, you must exchange driver’s license, insurance and registration information with the other drivers involved.
  • Personal injury or death. If anyone was physically injured or died in the accident, you must immediately notify the police and file the MV-104. Leaving the scene of the accident is a criminal offense. Ensure you stay at the scene for the police to arrive.
  • Parked vehicle, other property damage or domestic animal injury. You must locate the owner or contact the police.

Did you suffer serious injuries as a result of the accident?

If so, you should speak with an experienced attorney as soon as possible. The attorney can help you determine who was at fault and whether grounds exist to sue for damages. The Law Office of John Fazzini offers free initial consultations. Our fees are part of the compensation recovered, but only if we win or settle the case.